Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Being 29.96985301 years old and Part II of the architecturally challenged

11 days out of 365 until I turn the big 30.

So I had a discussion with my new boss the other day in which I asked things like "how long did it take you to get licensed", "when did you start your firm", "when you go out for Thai do you order mild, medium, or inferno?". Well, my new boss said, "I had a biology degree, I backed into Architecture. I've had my firm for 10 years, I can handle really hot food". So, I did some further checking tonight and researched the California Table of Equivalents and the NCARB State by State Board requirements and they were very confusing...but this is what I think I distilled from all of the info: I don't need a Masters Degree in the state of California to become a licensed Architect!!!! If this is true I just saved $70,000! I save $36K for avoiding grad school and get a plus $34k for being able to work in lieu of school! Before I go out and buy a $200 bottle of champagne I'm going to put in some calls to the California Board of Architecture to verify this but if I navigated the maze of regulations correctly, I could sit for a division of the Architects Registration Exam tomorrow, work on my IDP for the next 3 years and be licensed by age 33.96985301!

In Minnesota, I would still have to go to graduate school, I'd still have to do the IDP and WAIT to take the ARE until BOTH of those conditions are met AND freeze my a** off the whole time.

Now, if I'm wrong, I'm going to really lament not saving that $70k but at least I'm in California.

2 comments:

Brady said...

JJ! You're alive!! Yay! I'm glad things are going well in Cali.

I just finished watching L-Word Season 3 on DVD. Damn that was a kicker of a season. Can't wait for next year. And I just have to say: Shane, Shane, Shane...you idiot.

Anonymous said...

You may want to consider not abandoning the degree anyway, just so that you can:

1) Be enriched with education. School is cool.

2) Practice outside of Cali, should the need ever arise.