Another fractional step towards being 30...
As the time of 10,950 days old nears, I've thought about the "zeros", of life or life between the ages of 10, 20, and 30. When I was 10, life was great because my Mom, who taught (and still teaches) 2nd grade brought me to school in the morning and had me stay after school with her in the evening. This was every 10 year olds' dream because I had complete run of the Computer Lab, Music Room, Art Room, Library, Gymnasium, and Playground. Life after 10 went downhill because Jr. High was a popularity contest that I never joined. I discovered Coffeehouses, Ragstocks and thrift store fashion way too far ahead of my time and that combined with being gay and asian in a 99% white and straight school, left me alone in the school art room for 6 years. Sr High was slightly different because I could drive to the art room instead of being subject to the torture of the bus. Life after 20 was a roller-coaster-learning-curve of romantic, familial, friendly, corporate, laborious, exhilirating, disappointing and surpising relationships and where they did or didn't lead me. I think 30 will be a good decade with wiser drama, a thicker yet spongier heart to take the ups and downs and an evolving apprecation of the ones that I can't help but stick to.
About a month ago, one of those sticky ones, Dameon said to me, "People don't want to be right, they just want to be understood" - that statement was like Moses parting the sea. Tonight, Steph made the comment that the fatter and fuller our lives are the more excited WE are. She'd said this after I had told her that despite my new job, still working for my girlfriend, going to school, and freelancing on the side, I've felt even more excited, on top of already being excited about being in San Diego. I think the people who stick in our lives are there to diligently observe and to comment (for better or for worse) and ultimately to enlighten us through their own quirks and qualities. To be really esoteric... in quantum mechanics when a wave of light falls on a particle it causes the particle to bounce around like a cue-ball and on occasion a pair of subatomic particles can sometimes become “entangled.” This means the fate of one instantly affects the other, no matter how far apart they are. I think those funny behaviors explain why we stick to certain people.
Thursday, February 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Here's to exciting and fulfilling tricenarian years!
PS ~ You made me famous.
I love this post - especially the bit about quantum mechanics.
When do you turn 30????
Camille
Post a Comment