Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Inspiration at 6,000 feet


While wedged between seats A and C and Rows 25 and 26 and choking on peanuts I somehow managed to wiggle the US Airways magazine out of the seat pocket and found this article on Vera Wang. First, I want to thank the celebrities who've been sending me personal messages of encouragement via various media channels. Last night it was Ed Bradley looking past Charley Rose to say to me "my teacher told me you can do anything! and I believed her!". Before that Will Smith in The Pursuit of Happyness gazed at me from the 40 ft screen and said "Don't let anyone tell you you can't do something! Not even me!". And before that it was Terrence Howard in Hustle and Flow philosophizing about how we as human beings have unlimited potential "because WE Maaaaaaaaan". Well, in my case, I'm woman and my latest celebrity message was from Vera Wang at 6,000 feet in the air. Wang didn't start actually doing fashion design until age 40. Her parents refused to support her desire to go to design school. However, 16 years at Vogue Magazine was a pretty decent alternative to design school. Maybe I should try and get a position at DWELL magazine for the next 10 years. After quitting Vogue and at age 40 Wang's father finally backed her bridal business and her vision...and just look at the girl now!One of her latest projects was designing an exclusive guest suite for Halekulani Hotel in Hawaii. The article in US Airwaysverawang.pdf

No comments: