Thursday, January 25, 2007

Start Seeing Turbots

My night-time reading: The End of the Line, How Overfishing is Changing the Way We Eat. The author's description of how beam trawlers operate is frightening. Basically, a football field sized rake with a net attached to it gives a once over to the bottom of the sea. The kill ratio to get a pound of marketable fish is about 15:1. As usual, the government bodies, national and international, are too conservative and too slow to avoid collapse or outright extinction of some of the fish stocks. One of the arguments of why ocean and fish conservation is not a more urgent part of the public consciousness is that fish are not cuddly and furry and cute. The other adage, "out of sight, out of mind" is also a factor. This is very disheartening because I think fish are the most fascinating creatures on the planet. As a perpetual "looker-upper" I had to seek out visuals for the fish the author refers to - and I was not disappointed.







A Turbot






A Turbot trying to hide from a Beam Trawler






The end of the line for this Turbot.




No comments: