Thursday, February 22, 2007

My first encounter with OSHPD (pronounced Awsh Pawd)

Office of Statewide Health and Development. At 7:30am this morning I was picking up my first completed set of drawings and drove to La Jolla w/my boss for an OSHPD plan review. I'd imagined the OSHPD folks to be more institutional looking: stern-faced, with ample pocket protection, white shirts and navy blue ties. Instead, they were friendly, in polo shirts and printed hawaiian short-sleeves, no ominous office supplies just a red pen and the approval stamp. My boss said it was a very good plan review and thought I did pretty good for my first time out. In other news, my building codes teacher gave me 22.17 out of 22.5 on my homework for a final score of 99%. I don't think I've ever had a teacher withhold .33 points before and it makes me like this teacher even more.


After a long day of 8hrs of work and 2hrs of class I couldn't face another lean cuisine at my laptop so I headed to Betty's for a bowl of their sopa de tortilla con pollo y una cerveza and took a seat at the bar because the restaurant was full. Baja Betty's is the local gay bar/restaurant but apparently it isn't gay enough because 15 min. into dinner a half-drunken straight guy sat down next to me, first assured me he was not trying to pick me up, then attempted to buy me a shot of tequila, asked if I have a girlfriend and asked if I'd like to meet him out some time, then asked me 3 more times if I want some Tequila and then joked about being a violent drunk. I'd have left sooner but the server was taking forever to run my card. I guess I'll be sticking to frozen dinners and the unlimited friendship of my computer from now on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, what was that that you ordered? the whole menu must be several pages long if every menu item is that long!! i think i would've just back-handed that drunk and then pushed him off his stool. anyhoo, congrats on doing so well on your first assignment. and, oh, kinda disappointed with the 99%...definitely would've expected 110%.

Anonymous said...

Some guys are relentless, not to mention dumb. I wonder how guys can have so much confidence that they're completely oblivious of the obvious. I'd have so much fun if I were a woman (especially a lesbian). After the second attempt I first accept the tequila. Then I would get the whole bar's attention and then exclaim,

"For the last time, I not only don't find men sexually attractive, but I actually find you repulsive, so why don't you take your lame pick-up lines elsewhere. If you're really as desperate as you're acting, try masturbation. Oh, and thanks for the drink--what did you think I'd forget I dig chicks if you got me drunk enough?!" (This is where you throw the tequila on his face.)

I would be shocked if that doesn't get you a standing ovation.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the kind OSHPD words. Congratulations on your good plan review. We are all in this healthcare-providing thing together - just on opposite sides of the table....

-Dan
OSHPD FDD CENTRAL