
On Saturday at Balboa park I decided to sit down in front of a ridiculously complicated Baroque-Rococo looking building and draw it. I put pen to paper for about an hour and a half. After 60 minutes and 70% of the drawing completed I began to attract small children who would gasp and go get their parents and vice-versa adults who would grab their children and point to me. It felt kind of nice to be an improvisational civic attraction - especially since I haven't drawn much over the last two years. Sun night I also randomly caught a segment on 60 minutes on a Venezuelan Pianist, Gabriela Montero. Montero is a classical pianist but likes to improvise. She can take any song or 3 seconds of humming and improvise an elaborate arrangement. Morely Safer asked her to do a tango version of Twinkle Twinkle little star and the amazing stream of music came out of Montero in a fluid instant of mind-to-piano. You just have to hear the 10 sec. clip to know what I mean. I forget that expression is simple. I forget that just me, pen and paper, are an unscripted sum of parts. Watch the the 2 min. clip here, it's worth it. You'll have to endure a short commercial in the beginning. http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?channel=60SundayGabriela Montero's official websitehttp://www.gabrielamontero.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment