Saturday, August 4, 2007

hooked on phonics

I have a little project that was set into motion recently: Project Paris. It's been 7 years since I've been abroad and I have never been to France but have done the worst-next-best-thing, which is take 3 years of high school french with 2 years under a teacher who was a kleptomaniac and also appeared on Oprah with other Kleptomaniacs. Many kleptomaniacs are pathalogical liars, so she may have lied about her credentials and most of the French she taught. Fear not, I will have a guide (who is also my reason for going) and native speaker who will keep me out of trouble. As part of my short term project and other big picture goals I've decided to curb any superfluous going out for a while. Instead, I intend to catch up on reading and drinking decaf tea or nut milk or perrier. Hopefully one side-effect of my project will be improved phonics and better nutrition. Which brings me to the real reason for this post:

Dear Friends,

Please comment/email with books you think I should read! Also comment/email with decafeinated beverage suggestions.

Thank You,

JJS

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding book recommendations, I constantly hear good things about:

1. Rick Steves' - Europe only, but also on PBS

2. Lonely Planet - for backpackers and cheap travelers

3. Let's Go - from Harvard students, highlighting young adult interests and hot spots.

Voulez-vous parler français? The Defense Language Institute is adept and located in mystical Monterey, CA, but usually requires enlistment. Don't want to sell your soul to Big Brother? Try Rosetta Stone, an award winning, commercially available brand of software. I might be able to get you temporary access to this expensive software, so let me know if you're serious.

Anonymous said...

If you don't let on that you are American, you will do just fine in Paris speaking English. I was with my Danish cousins for a couple weeks there. Its not as fun though...

Anonymous said...

I recommend Nuala O'Faolain. A sort of female Frank McCourt but far more retrospective, conversational tone in her writing. I saw her talk at Mcalaster a few years ago and fell in love with her Irish lilt!

Jane

Anonymous said...

I need to counter monkey's suggestion. I spoken to several world travelers who claim that even though you can by with English, citizens of most countries, and France especially, consider it an insult for you to not even try. Most, I'm told, are honored when you do, even if they can't understand you.