
In the midst of Highway n' Transit Glamour Shots for work, I wandered over to a park in Chula Vista to see an oddly familiar looking building. I asked the staff who the designer was, already knowing the answer. First, I had to listen to the 30 second staff commercial for community classes starting now and then a friendly staffer took me over to a framed Architectural Record article telling all about the Chula Vista Heritage Community Center by Southern California architect Rob Wellington Quigley. My first introduction to his work was at the Solana Beach Transit Station which takes its cues from the surrounding surviving quanset-roofed warehouses. The CV Community Center gestures a little bit to the rural vernacular which I'm guessing farms and ag existed prior to the suburban development of Otay Ranch. The mini-rec room feels a bit barn-like with it's swooping ceiling and roll up doors. The last time I was in a barn was Polar, WI, December 2007. Stepping inside the Medo family barn after a snowfall was quite magical. Quigley's space has no sense-driven sentimentality to it. It's a modern glass and metal building with a function that I hope performs well for the community of Chula Vista. They do offer Spanish classes there, maybe I should try the building out some time.
No comments:
Post a Comment