Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Hillcrest is Among Top 10 Neighborhoods in U.S.


*picture from mysandiegolife.com

Hillcrest is 100 years old and it's wearing it's age well! It's been ranked as one of the best neighborhoods in the U.S.. I feel so lucky that I live here!!! Amen to that! Hallelujah, Hari Krishna, Shalom!

Here's the San Diego Union Tribune's paltry, feeble article which is barely worth reading...
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20071003-0710-1bo03hillcrest.html

However, curious to know who decided what we already knew about Hillcrest, I delved a little deeper into the source, the American Planning Association and I found a much more fulfilling and informative piece of writing.
http://www.planning.org/greatplaces/neighborhoods/hillcrest.htm

I'm inspired to find that a couple women architects have buildings in Hillcrest and the fact that "more than 1,200 businesses belong to the district, making it a major center of commerce for not just the neighborhood, but the entire city" is phenomenal. The article understandingly does not mention one oddity that occupies a prime spot in Hillcrest - Pernicano's Di Baffi. It's a slowly decaying Italian restaurant that is owned by a stubborn and allegedly sentimental owner, George Pernicano (a guy with a big handlebar moustache, "casa di baffi" means House of Moustache) who just does enough to keep the building legal. Maybe I will post a picture of it later this week.

Here's an article on the remnant restaurant: http://www.hillquest.com/archives/pericano.htm

I've been wondering if he would entertain an anti-development of sorts: an art/architecture project that would take the existing facade and transform it into an expression of the memories and emotions that keep Mr. Pernicano from doing anything with the building. Since he's wealthy enough to not develop and turn down offers maybe an action above the interests of commerce is in order? I wish I could've visited the restaurant during its heyday. I can close my eyes and imagine the atmosphere and the characters and the steaming plates of veal and pasta and bruschetta going by...how'd this post turn to food?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you get a photo of Mr. Pernicano's di baffi, too? Better yet, him outside his building. Il di baffi enfrente del Di Baffi. (Yah - Italish. Spanian...)

Anonymous said...

do everything you can to make a deal with the italian dude...the two of you will make even more history together.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you mentioned this old restaurant! I've been fascinated with it myself since I've lived here. I knew quite a bit about the owner myself since Mary's friend Jeff works for city planning, so he can get us information on things like that. He said basically this Pernicano guy is an old, stubborn eccentric guy who won't sell for all the reasons I read in that 5-year old article. As the article said, too bad he won't at least lease the parking lot! I don't think anything will change that way until he has passed away. I wish, too, I could've been around when it was in its heyday! Hope to see you soon.