Saturday, March 3, 2007
Fortuna Mountain
I like going up Fortuna instead of Cowles because even though it's a shorter climb it's significantly more steep with strong potential for humans to synchronize with gravity. Fortunately UCSD and Scripps both have level 1 trauma centers, should a human go splat on a rock. Because it's tucked away about a 1/4 mile walk past the visitor only about 6 people are ever on the Fortuna climber's trail whereas Cowles seems to always be crowded. Today is the last time I'm climbing to the summit at Fortuna because I shouldn't be doing that kind of rock climbing without a helmet and gear. I don't want to end up on the San Diego evening news. The rest of the trail is just good hard steep hiking. I do like the climbing part. It's a physical set of decisions, a negotiation and you sense the consequences with every change in position. One time on my path of descent a cactus hidden under a rock overhang got stuck on my knee. There's no way I could've seen that coming. Sometimes even the best negotiations are ambushed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You've inspired me to want to climb now.
Post a Comment